Tuesday, 18 December 2007

GIMP reason why I use it.

Some people asked me what editor do I use to edit my photos. While many other has chosen to use Adobe Illustrator or Adobe Photoshop. Because obviously it's hard to get a piratted software in UK and even if you do my company's loaned laptop will report me for installing something dodgy, I decided to try an open source freeware called GIMP.

When I told people I've been using GIMP, their reaction usually "Goodness, what is that?", "Man that's unix stuff", "Is it any better than photoshop?". Well let me get it right.

GIMP stands for GNU Image Manipulation Program, it is a raster graphics editor used to process digital graphics and photographs. Typical uses include creating graphics and logos, resizing and cropping photos, altering colors, combining multiple images, removing unwanted image features, and converting between different image formats. GIMP can also be used to create basic animated images in GIF format. It is often used as a free software replacement for Adobe Photoshop, the most widely used bitmap editor in the printing and graphics industries; however, it is not designed to be a Photoshop clone. And in fact, GIMP available for download even for windows! (http://www.gimp.org/)

I would think GIMP is a very powerful editting tool. I am not a design graduate nor getting any professional qualification related to it, so to me there is no plus point of having 500 pound Adobe Photoshop to this FREEWARE. Anyway, I am not using a very complicated steps in editting my pictures.

GIMP is easy to use. Here is my proof. The previous images are a real softglow effect, that is not editted come fresh from camera. So how do I create such effect if I only have cheap camera? With GIMP it is only a click away, it calls "softglow" filter. The result is this.(Click to zoom in.)

Now let me get this right. A person who used to using CorelDraw or Adobe may find GIMP truly annoying. I did when my husband install this software on my laptop. It's simply because all the menu, dialog box, buttons and filter are on the wrong place and the name of the filter is different (even they are doing the same thing). It took me nearly a month to stop rantings when using it. But hey, it's not meant to be a clone of Adobe Photoshop.
Another thing is you need to think the way programmer thinks when you use GIMP. Unlike Photoshop whereby the UI is well thought off for designer mind, GIMP is clearly strive for functionality before looks. Now they are much better, you should see how does it looks 3 years ago!!!

Another thing I like about GIMP handy feature is Red Eye Removal. Before I have my Canon EOS Rebel, I always turn on the flash when taking picture to avoid blurry result. But then, it resulted on red eye spots on the shots. But GIMP saved me, here is the tutorial. Well, I may add more stuff on photo-editting. Till next time.

No comments: