Sunday, 31 August 2008

Dream on....

I meant to blog about this long time ago. Let me tell you a little secret. Probably a wild imagination, but nevermind. I always dream on being... a stay-home-mom! Not much really. (Ok I heard you say that my expectation in life is so low). I must admit that I am quite envious to some of my christian friend (who mostly are pastor's wife) who are stay at home. Why?
First, I think it is impossible (yes, not possible) to be a good employee and a good mom at the same time. So, this is an exclusion if you are already married and childless (you can work to death if you want *evil laugh*). Let alone working 9-5 to please your boss and still have to go home, to cook food, feed your toddler, bathe him, put him to bed, do your devotion, spend time with your spouse, and don't forget...daily excercise (a wife must look good in front their husband). So, I dream that one day I can choose only one of the task, that is being a good mom, and having all the time in the world to do gardening, trying fancy recipe, and doing my hobby outside housework related stuff. Now, I don't have time to iron clothes (hey, if you found one folded count yourself lucky), no time to wash dishes (thanks to Yusdi and the dishwasher for taking turn), no time to clean up all the toy mess after Josiah's play around. But sometimes you can't really choose.
Second, I don't like 9-5 job. If my son already grown up and I find myself at home alone most of the time. I'd like to start working again, but for a job which is flexi hour. If you are a programmer there is such thing like working at home part time job which can still make you busy at your own time.
I know many of my friends (christian friends) who are a wife and a mum and still working in order to support her husband income. I do not agree 100% with this situation but I won't judge by say it is wrong to do so, because I knew some of them had to support their parents or relatives. But is it possible to live from a single income? of course! There are a lot of example around. What would be hard is (hard but not impossible): to down grade one's life standard from dual income spending to single income that's why many wife can't give up their paycheck. The thinking that "if I work, we can afford better house, better car, better education, and how about disposable income?". And I can see, as a chinese mindset, time is money, so why not work until death do us apart? Sorry folk, I am talking about quality, and not quantity.
Anyway, that is my dream, hope it will come true when my husband's back on track become the bread winner. Do you think we can afford sending kids to independent school with only one income? If God can move a mountain, create the whole world, sending a boy to independent school shouldn't be a problem. Ok, continue to dream on....

5 comments:

Roger said...

I guess my wife in trouble. She's a stay home mum and still has a hard time finding time to ironing clothes! LOL!

Have a good day.

We'll trust that the Lord will give you the desire of your heart!

J.H said...

Haha, thank you pastor!
I am still waiting for that day. now I am a slave of UKBA, if I stop working, immigration officer will wave goodbye to me :-( *sobs*

agustina said...

well... to be honest? that is also part of my dream.. to be a kindegarten teacher, and a stay at home mom. a kindegarten teacher works only 8-12. then u can go back home, take care of ur home, ur kids, and anything that u like! well... as u said, nothing is impossible.. for the time being, i will still need to work, considering the home loan.. single income wont do.. haha :p well, like pastor said last sunday, when there's life, there's always hope *grin*

J.H said...

wah gus, kalo nunggu homeloan elo bakalan jadi kindergarten teacher by 65? Eh tapi ideal juga tuh gus jadi guru TK, anak loe bisa sekalian di sekolahin di TK yang sama. Ya udah, elo ke sini deh, sekalian sekolahin anak gw. Gimanah? *hahaha*

agustina said...

bwuhauhua, ga sampe segitu si je, total loan gw ga 30 years koks :p
well, gw juga mikirnya gitu tuu... skealian sekolahin anak gw, hahaha.. ada tk sono yang mo terima gw ga je? wakakakakak