Monday, 11 August 2008

A lady named Mary

This is about a friend of mine, a sister, and a mother. Her name was Mary. She was a Gypsy from Ireland whom later on moved to Britain. It was not long ago since Mary had decided to leave her false religion, and receive Jesus as her Saviour. She told me how regretful she was that she only embrace the truth in her old days. "I had wasted a lot of my young life for drinking and smoking" she told me. "I used to fear my God, chant my rosary hundreds of times, taking communion, doing good works were all my attempt to get my Lord's favour, but I know.... these were not enough!".

That was Mary before she get saved. As the bible said, that it is impossible to change a person from the outside, a change must taken inside. I remember how sweet Mary was. She doesn't have much money, I recall she always shop in Asda, one of the cheapest grocery store. But when I was pregnant with Josiah, I remember, she bought him a cute looking blue sweater, and she gave me a tenner "This is not much my dear, but I hope you can use it to buy something for your son". In church she always cracked jokes, drinking her tea while watching pastor's children running around. She always hug me when she knew my heart was troubled and say "Have a blessed week my dear, remember the Lord is faithful".

She lived alone in her caravan somewhere nearby Oxford. I still can't imagine how she used to raise 16 children in a "house" about that size. We used to sit in her caravan on Wednesday prayer meeting, just about 4 of us and 3 of pastor's son. Her eyes unable to read in dimmed light anymore, therefore she just hum on the song we sang. And at the end of the song she'll said "Isn't that beautiful Pastor?" and laughed. Her favorite him is "The old rugged cross".

We heard a news about her last night. Yusdi and Josiah planned to see her in JR Hospital in Oxford today. However, God had called her home earlier. Though there were some tears in our eyes today, and there are regrets that we didn't meet her to say goodbye. But there is a joy deep in my heart, that you are now in heaven, rejoicing, and singing your victory to eternity. I told Yusdi how envious I am with Mary, while here I am worrying about job, money, mortgage, visa, etc. Mary is probably looking around her mansion, and walk that street of gold. She will have no more worry, no more tears, and best of all, she will be with Jesus, forevermore.

Mary, if you ever aware of my post, I would like to say, "Till we meet again, on that lovely golden shore! And here is your favorite song, three of us sang it for you."

On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross,
the emblem of suffering and shame;
and I love that old cross where the dearest and best for a world of lost sinners was slain...

So I'll cherish the old rugged cross,
till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
and exchange it some day for a crown.

To that old rugged cross I will ever be true,
its shame and reproach gladly bear;
then he'll call me some day to my home far away,
where his glory forever I'll share.

So I'll cherish the old rugged cross,
till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
and exchange it some day for a crown.

No comments: