Sunday, 5 October 2008

Oktoberfest

It was so happen that my husband's conference clashing with the starting period of oktoberfest, the biggest festival in the world. A lot of misconception about what this oktoberfest about came from foreigners! When someone (a non German) heard about about oktoberfest, they would said it's all about drinking beer!! Which is incorrect. Beer is only part of it. Many deutschlander grew a negative sentiment towards Oktoberfest because so many drunk foreginers getting involve on recent years.
Let's read more about what Oktoberfest really is...
oktoberfest8
(Below is one of the beer tent)
oktoberfest10
The Oktoberfest is a sixteen-day festival held each year in Munich, Bavaria, Germany during late September (and running to early October). It is one of the most famous events in the city and the world's largest fair, with some six million people attending every year, and is an enjoyable event with an important part of Bavarian culture. Other cities across the world also hold Oktoberfest celebrations, modeled after the Munich event.
The original "Oktoberfest" occurred in Munich, on October 12, 1810: For the commemoration of their marriage, Crown Prince Ludwig (later King Ludwig I) and Princess Therese of Saxe-Hildburghausen (namesake of the Theresienwiese festival grounds) organized a great horse race (the marriage took place on October 12; the horse race on October 17 — therefore, there are different dates named as being the first Oktoberfest). To many deutschlander, Oktoberfest is a social time, it used to be regarded as folklore festival.
(Below, this group of "married" man, notice that theirs socks is up!)
oktoberfest9
And notice there is one with socks down... means he is "single".
octoberfest11
(Below, a gift given to their spouse)
oktoberfest3
(Below, a disneyland worth of theme park is set up)
oktoberfest4
There is a lot of way to have fun without drinking.
Like, watching people dress up in traditional clothes.
oktoberfest13
Or.... trying their wurst(sausage) which is...VERY LONG!
oktoberfest14
I heard this is berliner signature this (no idea why it exist in Munich, but there you go!) CURRY-WURST.
oktoberfest7
Having a ride in one of this...
oktoberfest2
And this what we brought home...Josiah trying his Oktoberfest hat.
oktoberfest6
oktoberfest5
And, this is what my husband get me... (I still have not eaten it yet to this date).
oktoberfest

4 comments:

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

Oh, I am so happy to meet you. You are beautiful, and your blog is beautiful.......I love your photos, they are wonderful!

My name is Jessica, too....
and I was wondering if this may also be a similarity....What is your nationality?

Again, I am so very happy to have found your blog....I will be back for a visit soon!

J.H said...

thanks you for all of your kind words! *blush*
I am indonesian, living in UK :-)
I love the way you interpret the scenery, I guess I have to learn more!

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

You're very welcome. Seriously, you're like one of my most favorite people now. Your family looks so happy and fun-loving, and I see the same spirit that I have within you.

Indonesian, I wouldn't have guessed that.....I'm Filipino.

I think that I can learn a thing or two from you as well :o)

J.H said...

Hey, your blog is my fave too now, look at the "what I like to read" section.
Now...another proof that people of the same name have the same taste! *giggle*