Friday, 28 November 2008

The birthday cake....

My son's birthday is just on the corner. I find myself browsing for birthday cake on the net during break time.
There is one clue of looking for a cake for my son.

He loves TRAIN...

So I landed my eyes on this cake...
It came from "The cakes shop" in Oxford. And they produce a fine bakery not only with great looks but also great taste.

However....honestly, I liked this one better. I mean look at those cute animals :-)Sadly, I had to scrap the mission because the cake above cost... 99 GBP!!! Yes it is £99 (plus £5 for delivery still not included). Well it's kind of big cake which can serve about 30 people (mind you it is actually 3 tier). But to me, it just doesn't justify the price.


I think I am not going to eat the cake should that be the price.

Right, so I am on the search again... so I am opt to the idea of giving the bakery certain design and ask them to make it.I stumble upon this lovely cake made by 4goodnesscakes (BTW, she is in NZ). Which I think probably going to cost cheaper to make as it is only a single tier cake.


I ask a local bakery for quotation, and it came out as £58 for 30 person. Not too bad...

But then, I saw this over in Marks and Spencer online shopping...And that is £42 for.....50 people!!!! (Unfortunately M&S didn't do train design this year). I mean, M&S is NOT the cheapest place to buy cakes (there is still Tesco, Asda and Sainsbury which probably like Wallmart and Cotsco in States)...but it proof how much overprice is the bakery around here.

6 comments:

Liss said...

Firstly, I have to say I love the second cake. My son is having a jungle party tomorrow and that would go perfectly. I have made my own cup cakes and an ice-cream cake too. I will defiantly take pics for you but they are home made and nothing as extravagant as this.

I think all boys like train. If you are confined it your own cooking abilities you could back a cake and buy some train figurines to place on the top. I know though it is nice to have a professionally made cake too.

MaryAnn Ashley said...

Those are amazing cakes... maybe you can get a little one, and buy a sheet cake to cut up for guests...

J.H said...

liss and maryann,
thanks for dropping by again!
well, I had never realise it's such a hard choice to choose a cake. Especially when you didn't willing to let go the quality for the price.

Stardust said...

The cakes look heavenly though I'm not sure about the taste. I reckon that they taste like heaven too. =P

Is there going to be a party? Wow...

I love all the cakes but considering your boy's preference, I think anything with train should do the trick.

In Jap, I don't see any cakes as exquisite yet ( cos it's countryside here perhaps ) So I really must say that your place is offering really good stuff!

LuxeLass said...

The cakes are so pretty! We don't have it here in Singapore! So I suppose you are back in UK already? I'm trying out the gold mask this Thu!! *excited*

AG said...

mo tante agustina bikinin ga josie? kuenya? tapi keretanya itu kereta api indo modelnya.. yang orang2 pada jumplek2an di atas... huhuhuhuhuhu... *hidup indooo* :p

wah, d mo 2 taon ya je? time flies.. =) next year, ketemu josie, dia d 3 taon... huhuhuhu...