Tuesday, 25 November 2008

It could have been me

I was quite devastated last Friday when I received a rejection letter for my first job interview (Yes. I AM looking for a job). I thought that the interview went very well. There were very good overlap between my skills and what the company required. To make matter short, I wasn't in a very good mood through out weekend.




Come Tuesday. During our weekly journal club, one of my friend presented a very recent breakthrough in our field. It was exactly his PhD topic, only done (much) better. To his credit, he was competing against a $200M funded company with more than 50 staffs. I don't know about you, but if you are a PhD, getting your thesis topic 'stolen' from under your nose can have very disasterous results, for your immediate PhD project as well as for your long term scientific career.

How are these two events that happened during the weekend related? Reverse the time about 1.5 years back when I just started my PhD. At one point I was offered to take on that very project, however for reasons unknown to me my supervisor changed his mind at the last minute and gave it to my other friend. I was quite dissapointed as the project was very promising and have real world applications, something that I enjoy as an engineer.

This might sound silly to some people, but I believe that God planned all of these for me, even to the fact that these two events unfolded during the same weekend. I need to be reminded that He has my best interest close to His heart. What seems like a short term loss, might mean deliverance from future heartache. He definitely wants me to give it my best, but I also need to learn to trust Him for the results, like the old hymn says, 

Trust and obey, 
for there is no other way, 
to be happy in Jesus, 
but to trust and obey

7 comments:

dRaGoNfLy WiNgS said...

Take heart, my new found friend. When God closes a door, He opens a window.

I'm sure He has something much better and greater in store for you.

Have a good week!! :D

Roger Tooley said...

We'll keep on praying. I know God has everything in control. God has the right job out there.

sharilyn said...

God truly is involved in all the details of our lives. i will pray for you and your job search.

interestingly, another blogger i read, robin, (http://thinkonthisquotes.blogspot.com/2008/11/trust-and-obey.html) posted a great quote today on the same theme-- trust and obey. it is as follows: "God is God. Because He is God, He is worthy of my trust and obedience. I will find rest nowhere but in His holy will, a will that is unspeakably beyond my largest notions of what He is up to." ~ Elisabeth Elliot

Stardust said...

Dear J.H.,

It must be hard to see a fine opportunity come this close, only to watch it slip away later. =(

I'm just glad for you that the Holy Spirit talks to you about this issue, and affirms your soul about God's plans for you. Yes, I believe that for all things, He works them out for our best interest. I constantly need to remind myself this way too.

One day, surely we'll see His purpose. Cheer up, and I'll be praying for your new job opportunity.

Parlin-Artha-Axel said...

It happens to me before also...I was looking for a job two months ago, and I was facing rejection after rejection, which was actually good because God has provided me with the best one in the end..Dun worry, God has already planed the best one for you too...hwaiting!!!

J.H said...

hello all,
thank you for the word of encouragement! I am sure my husband (who posted this post, notice the bottom of the post (Y.H and not J.H)) will be very encouraged for those kind soul out there who spend their time writting comments.

Sis. Tammy said...

The Lord has the perfect job for you and I know that you wouldn't want second best. We will continue to pray. Being as how you don't need it right now, maybe the Lord is trying to teach more trust and faith. He is always on time every time!