Friday, 14 November 2008

A short life of misery and pain

I clearly have no clue how this happen. Britain certainly need to bring back Death Sentence. Read more here.

By John Murphy
BBC News

Two men have been found guilty of causing or allowing the death of a 17-month-old boy. The child's mother had already admitted allowing or causing the child's death.

The trial highlighted a catalogue of missed opportunities to save his life and the case has chilling echoes of the death of Victoria Climbie.
The boy's mother denied knowing anything about bloodstains

On 2 August 2007 police announced they were dropping an investigation into allegations of child abuse they had launched the previous December.

Baby P's mother was elated and told social workers she would go home to hug her son and bake cakes.

The next morning he was dead.

Baby P, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was pronounced dead shortly after midday on 3 August at the North Middlesex Hospital in Edmonton, north London.

But it was already clear when an ambulance arrived at his Tottenham home 45 minutes earlier that he had been dead for some time.

His mother described him in her 999 call as "blue, cold and stiff." In his short life he had suffered repeated - and unexplained - injuries.

The post-mortem examination revealed Baby P had suffered:

• Eight broken ribs and a broken back, with another area of bleeding around the spine at neck level.

• Numerous bruises, cuts and abrasions, including a deep tear to his left ear lobe, which had been pulled away from his head.

• Severe lacerations to the top of his head, including a large gouge which could have been caused by a dog bite.

• Blackened finger- and toenails, with several nails missing; the middle finger of his right hand was without a nail and its tip was also missing, as if it had been sliced off.

• A tear to his fraenulum, the strip of skin between the middle of the upper lip and the gum, which had partially healed.

• One of his front teeth had also been knocked out and was found in his colon. He had swallowed it.

The jury was not shown photographs of the child's actual injuries because it would be too upsetting but was shown computer generated images of his injuries.
The jury were shown computer generated images of Baby P's injuries

His mother, who is now 27, told her GP in September 2006 that her son "bruises easily" and she was worried she might be accused of hurting him.

The following month she returned to see Dr Jerome Iqwueke and explained away bruises on the child, saying he had fallen down the stairs the day before.

On 11 December 2006 Dr Iqwueke saw the child again and noticed more bruises, none of which the mother could adequately explain.

He immediately referred Baby P to paediatric specialists at the Whittington Hospital, where doctors concluded the marks suggested non-accidental injury.

Haringey social services were notified, Baby P was put on the child protection register and a police investigation began.

Five days later he was released into the care of Angela Godfrey, a close friend of the mother.

At the end of January 2007 social services decided to return Baby P to the family home.

Dr Heather Mackinnon, the paediatric consultant in charge of Baby P's care at the Whittington, said she had been unable to attend various case conferences concerning him but had made her report available.

She said she would not have supported returning the child to his family.

She also said she did not receive the minutes of any of the meetings until after Baby P's death eight months later - something she described as "clearly a systemic failure".

Dr Mackinnon said many of those involved in the case felt sorry for the mother and she said there was "a collective thinking that this was more likely to be neglect rather than deliberate injury - which was not my view".

The police officer investigating the suspected abuse, Detective Constable Angela Slade, said she had also been opposed to Baby P returning to the family home because her investigation had not been completed.

But she said she was told by social services the mother was working well with them and a delay in returning would affect the re-integration of the family.

Social services had also been given assurances - which proved worthless - that the mother was living alone and there was no man in the house who could have inflicted the injuries.

During the trial the mother admitted this was a lie.
The death of Baby P has chilling echoes of the Victoria Climbie case

The court heard that her 32-year-old boyfriend, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was frequently left in charge of Baby P and the first injuries coincided with his growing involvement in the household.

Baby P was taken to hospital twice more, in April and June 2007, with unexplained cuts and bruises.

The mother lied to social worker Maria Ward that she was away, which delayed a home visit for another six weeks.

When Ms Ward saw Baby P for the last time, a few days before his death, she found him sitting in his buggy, with a sore ear, a gauze over his finger and chocolate smeared over his face and hands.

Two prosecution witnesses claimed the mother and boyfriend had deliberately spread the chocolate on his face to hide bruises.

Baby P's final two weeks of life were marked by an escalation of the violence against him.

On 25 July Dr Iqwueke received a call from the mother, requesting his help to get social services "off her back".

When she brought the child in the following day the doctor noticed he was "withdrawn" and avoided contact.

The prosecution claimed the child's back and ribs would have been broken before 1 August, when his mother took him to a child development clinic at St Ann's Hospital where he was seen by Dr Sabah Al-Zayyat.

In a police interview Dr Al-Zayyat said she had been unable to carry out a full physical examination because he was "miserable and cranky".

But in court she said Baby P only cried for a minute or so before she began her physical examination and he was in the room with her for over an hour.

Asked why she apparently changed her evidence she replied that the police had not asked her the right question at the time.

Dr Al-Zayyat denied his back could have been broken when she saw him.

It emerged during the trial that the mother had been placed on a parenting course, had been given stair gates, a fireplace guard and, even, shortly before his death, an offer of a seaside holiday.

This is not the first time Haringey social services has come under the spotlight.

In February 2000 eight-year-old Victoria Climbie was killed in Tottenham after a number of failings by Haringey social services and other agencies.

So what happen to Baby P??
A 15-year-old runaway staying at the house had later claimed to police that the mother's boyfriend had carried out "brutal and sadistic" assaults on the child, jurors heard.

"She told them he would shake him, punch him, swing him around by his legs and spin him round on the computer chair until he fell off," said Sally O'Neill, QC, for the prosecution.

"He would wrap him up and leave him sweating until he was dehydrated."

Over the last seven or eight months of his short life, the baby was subjected to a course of assaults of increasing violence, Miss O'Neill told the court.

She added: "The Crown's case against these defendants is that either they themselves inflicted this unlawful force on him or that they participated in a joint enterprise to do so."

The eight fractured ribs were more than a week old, the lesions on his scalp and ears were ulcerated and there was a healing tear to the membrane between his lip and gum, she said.

The most serious injury had been the broken back.

Ms O'Neill said: "That particular injury requires an extremely forceful hyperextension of the spine by, for example, forcing a child's back over your bent knee or over a banister rail.

"The effect of that particular assault would have been to cause paralysis from the level of injury down."

Ms O'Neill added that the death of a child in such circumstances was "likely to fill any reasonable person with revulsion".

She said the mother and her boyfriend began a relationship in June 2006 when the baby was three months old.

After his birth she had been diagnosed with depression and, because of previous post-natal depression, the family had been placed in the "cause for concern" category by a health visitor, but they were removed shortly afterwards.

It sadden me to hear this story, the innocent child being a target of his own parent bullies. Nonetheless, I am relieved that his suffering days are over as today he was sitting happily in Jesus's lap, enjoying His endless care and love.


Wayfaring Wanderer said...

That is heartbreaking.....tears welled up in my eyes as I read through the various injuries he was found to have.....I can't imagine the pain that poor baby lived with daily....that is so sad :(

I couldn't read the entire story.....

Anonymous said...

I agree, that is heartbreaking. It is hard to imagine that someone who is supposed to love and care and protect their children could instead inflict pain and suffering. They should be lock up and the key thrown away.

(I'm here via Liss.)

J.H said...

Yes, this is sadden my heart a lot. I couldn't imagine what his little body had going through. But I am glad to know baby P is in a better place, with someone who loves him the most :-)

Ellena said...

ya... I agreed with J.H that baby P is indeed in a much better place now.....And all his suffering will come to an end and he will be blessed with full love from onwards.........

AG said...

This is just too sad.. Sometimes people can be so so so cruel.. This remind me of James Bulger case.. the 3 yrs old kid murdered by 2,10 yrs old kid..
and well.. it happened in UK, too. Violence is such a "common" thing now.. and.. it's sad.. If only they knew God..

J.H said...

exactly! that's the root of the problem. People need to know God and repent from their wicked way of life.
The change must take from inside not outside.

Stardust said...

I've been wanting to read this post but I lack concentration these days and finally remember to come back for this one.

The pain and agony that Baby P has endured must be beyond imagination. Such inhumane mother he had, and had the cheek to lie through her teeth to give some excuses that no sane person can buy! Evil.

Totally heartwrenching. I pray for Baby P's soul, and justice be brought upon the brutal couple. I know that it's not a Christian thing to say, but I seriously do not think that this is a ' forgivable ' issue.

I once had a friend who lives in a death-sentence free country. She said that her country is noble, because there is no death-sentence and they don't believe in an eye for an eye.

I'm not blood-thirsty, I won't want to witness execution, but what gives the culprits RIGHTS to do whatever they want, then live on taxpayers' funds for the rest of their lives, comfortably without worrying recession and etc? It's absurd!

Is it not right that when one walks into a shop and breaks something, compensation is neccessary. Show me the VALUE of LIFE, if it is something that can be taken away so easily at one's will without making an equivalent redemption. Some kind of value is that!

This world is crazy.

Baby P, play in heaven and be glad that you are not in our crazy world anymore.