Monday, 30 March 2009

Only a sinner saved by Grace

No one like to read about genoice happening in Cambodia during Khamer Rounge regime. I came to know about it when I read a personal experience of NicoleKiss which you all can read here. The author describe how her visit to the killing fields has shocked her to no end.


I spent three days in Phnom Penh, capital of Cambodia (pronounced as "Nom Pen") studying the history of Cambodia, and understanding the state it was now. Of why it is still so behind time, why there are people on this earth still crave for true freedom and unable to live out their past.


I read this book called "Stay Alive, My Son" during my stay in Phnom Penh, a true story about a survivor who lived through the period, losing over 30 members of his family, including his son and wife. I finished the book over night, and cringed the night after, unable to sleep. Wondering why? Asking why? There simply was no answer.


I visited the killing fields, a place where they bring people here to die. Mass lives burials were carried out up to few times a month.Studying some of the skulled they dug up after the regime, you'll find skulls with holes and felt the pain of how it was like to die there, in that state.


Everyone who enter S-21 is destined to die. Die a tragic death and torture. Including this woman and her baby.


Today, one of the head of prison and one of the main Khamer Rouge leader, a 66-year-old Kaing Guek Eav who is known as Duch (who used to torture and killed the inmates) was actually sitting on trial. I saw in the news that many of the people who had witness his cruelty actually watching as the trial begin. I can imagine their anger, their disappointment, their crave for revenge, of the lost of their loved ones.

Now, who you think can forgive a wicked man like Duch? who can love him? Many people probably agreed that a man commiting such crime not only deserve death sentence or miserable death. Probably under many other religion, there is no turning back for Duch, even when he regret what he'd done, and no amount of good works in the rest of his life can save him from Hell. But I am glad, that no friend as faithful as Jesus, who can forgive you, and accept you no matter who you are.


I read a snippent of news of him here.

Duch himself disappeared. His fate remained a mystery until 1999, when British journalist Nic Dunlop discovered him in a backwater of Cambodia's northwest, which had became a haven for Khmer Rouge veterans.


His life had taken a surprising turn:

He had become an evangelical Christian and was working with international aid organizations that were unaware of his background.

"He told me, 'Lord, forgive for what I did to the people,'" said Christopher LaPel, a Christian missionary from Los Angeles who converted Duch.LaPel, a Cambodian-American who lost his parents, a brother and sister to the Khmer Rouge, said Duch remains steadfast in his Christianity."He's very strong in his faith and he's ready to testify," LaPel said in February after visiting Duch behind bars to give him communion.

"He's looking forward (to it). He wants to reveal what he did to his people."










I don't know how to describe the joy knowing that Duch has repented from his sin and past, just like I did many years ago. It's feel great to be forgiven and to be freed from the bondage of sin. Both of us a lot in common. We once a SINNER saved by GRACE!


*****


I was once a sinner, but I came

Pardon to receive from my Lord:

This was freely given, and I found

That He always kept His word.

There’s a new name written down in glory,

And it’s mine, O yes, it’s mine!

And the white robed angels sing the story,

“A sinner has come home.”

For there’s a new name written down in glory,

And it’s mine, O yes, it’s mine!

With my sins forgiven I am bound for Heaven,

Never more to roam.



Isaiah 55:7 Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.




p.s: if you think it is not fair for a man with such a crime to enter the kingdom of heaven. Hold your breath there... I have an entry on easter which explaining just that :-)

2 comments:

Sis. Tammy said...

Praise the Lord! I'm just a sinner saved by grace! Amen! Wonderful

HOPE said...

Amen!! what a wonderful story to share...

did you know that the lead pilot for the bombing of Pearl Harbor..also became a Christian!!!

Amazing story.

Praise GOD...he came to save sinners!

God bless you sweet friend..
HOPE