Thursday, 14 May 2009

My first HDR

Finally, I made my self my very first HDR picture! It wasn't a bright day when we arrove in London, and all of our "normal" picture looks so bleak and dull. Then we decided to try an HDR shot. And here is the result. (Below : London Natural History Museum)
HDR

To those of you that wonder what is HDR?
HDR stands for high dynamic range imaging (HDRI or just HDR) is a set of techniques that allows a greater dynamic range of luminances between light and dark areas of a scene than normal digital imaging techniques. The intention of HDRI is to accurately represent the wide range of intensity levels found in real scenes ranging from direct sunlight to shadows.

How to take HDR picture?
HDR picture consist of minimum 3 individual picture taken at different exposure (say -2,0,and 2). And there is photoshop/GIMP techniques to merge the picture in order to create HDR effect. It is highly recommended that you use tripod to do this to avoid any misalignment among the pictures.
I follow a simple step by step HDR construction at this site, which also will give you a better understanding on what and how HDR works. I suggest that you do more than 3 exposure bracket for a better result.
(Picture of the ball is taken from wikipedia.)

HDR2
Unfortunately for me, because we had no tripod at hand that day, we just have to rely on fence or pole to keep the camera on it's position and took 3 exposure (marked as -2,0 and 2).
london3
Right, this is unrelated to HDR, but I can't resist to show you the beauty of this museum. How can a thing this nice can come free in this country?
london london4
And that's me and my son, standing in awe :-)

12 comments:

Ellena said...

oh gosh!!! Jessica, these photos are great!!! It's the London History Museum? wow.. i didn't get a chance to visit it b4.... it's look so grand.... Hope one day i can re-visit LONDON again....

Liss said...

These look lovely . I am so glad you did them the correct way and didn't you those awful HDR photoshop action.

Well done. I never carry a tripod. It gets to heavy for me to carry by myself with the rest of my equipment and kids stuff.

yadkinvalleyhome said...

WOW!!! Great photos! You really do a great job with your camera.

Cath J said...

What ever HDR is.. (:-p) I still love all the pictures... amazing!!! I always waiting for pictures from your blog...its a happiness for me.. :-D

Char said...

gorgeous shots!!! I need to make myself do more HDR but the tripod gets so cumbersome some days

LittleKiwisPhotography said...

what a fun thing to try. I will have to find something to expiriment on with the HDR and see what I can do with it!

hiPPo said...

great photos! i m always amazed by the beautiful things u capture.. awwww.... London never looked nicer to me than now.. always hated the gloomy weather.. =)

Merryn said...

i wud be in awe too if i was there! i did not get the chance to visit the museum when i was there last time... nice pic, thanx for sharing, at least now i know how it look like inside!

Stardust said...

Oh the pictures are AWESOME!!! I want to travel London again!!

Now HDR sounds like some mammoth theory to me, I really need time to digest all that! ;P

J.H said...

@Ellena : Give me a shout when you are coming :-)

@Liss : I use GIMP (not a true HDR) and GIMP is not as advance as Photoshop. Talking about tripod? I guess carrying it is my biggest nightmare.

@yadkin, Char & Cath : thanks!!!

@LittleKiwis : hey, share the result when you have them :-)

@Hippo & Merryn : if you think about to go to London again, give us a shout and we'll let you know where is this :-)

@Stardust : I am not a big fan of HDR myself, but something told me that I have to try it at least once.

KY said...

Lovely HDR pics! Have always wanted to try some but as you said it's difficult without tripod but yours turned our really great!

Ayie said...

Those are great shots! I love the details of that structure!