Tuesday, 23 June 2009

A gate to Cyclades

I must admit, I am a little crazy about blue hour lately. I am not sure why. (And I hope no one is bored yet with sunset picture :P).
mykonos8

Welcome to Mykonos, our first stop on the Cyclades!
(Below, Mykonos trademark picture, the Cycladic windmill.)
The windmills of Mykonos are the trademark of the whole island. They can be seen from every point of Chora village and they are the first thing to see when the ship gets close to the harbour, as they stand on a hill overlooking the area.
mykonos10
There are 16 windmills today on Mykonos. Most of them were built by the Venetians in the 16th century and till the early 20th century, they were used to grind the wheat. They were an important source of income for the inhabitants and supported a lot the economy of Mykonos in difficult times. With the evolution of economy, their use gradually declined till they stop working in the middle of the 20th century.
mykonos21
The view from this site is excellent. You can see the whole village of Chora and the harbour, while the best time to visit is during the sunset. You can see the pictures at the end of this entry.
mykonos9
mykonos6
Ok, back on topic.
Mykonos is a very special place for three of us. Allegedly, because all through our 14 days journey this is the very place where there is something for everyone.
mykonos2
Including the picturesque place, beautiful sunset, no climbing up and down hundreds of steps and....

Nice beach!!!
Yes, beach with golden sand whereby you can made a sand castle (and not pebbly). And the sun makes it warm enough...
mykonos5
To dip for a swim.

I had never done this for years.... (How I missed Bali lovely beach.)
And look at the turquoise blue clear water, isn't that inviting?
mykonos3
mykonos4

Or if you fancy a rocky and quiet beach?
mykonos33
mykonos32
mykonos34
Check this out, NO ONE else beside us, how cool is that?
mykonos35

Blue and white seems to be the colour of this island.
mykonos24
mykonos37
I purposely wearing something blue!
mykonos22
mykonos23
And of course, check this Greek Orthodox Church.
mykonos26
Called "Paraportiani"- One of the most famous architectural structures in Greece. Its name means inner or secondary door which it was to the Medieval stone walls which encircled the area.
mykonos25

And this is where we stayed. A hotel with classic french looking cottage looking deco. You can get a room with great view (since the hotel is up the hill) for 80 Euro. Check this out : Pelican Hotel, Mykonos City. (The last picture on this post is taken from hotel's balcony).
mykonos36

And if you fancy a fine romantic dining.
Try Little Venice.
mykonos20
Here the buildings have been constructed right on the sea's edge with their balconies overhanging the water.
mykonos38
or perhaps Mykonos City
mykonos30
mykonos29
mykonos28
mykonos27
Guess what, shopping in Mykonos is a great fun, even when you are not buying anything! You can wander around looking at fancy jewelry, craft, clothes along this narrow alley.
mykonos18

And when the fun long day is over. You can sit back on the top of the hill and cast your eyes upon the burning horizon.
mykonos13
mykonos31
mykonos12
mykonos
Soon the city light is up.
mykonos14
mykonos16
mykonos15
And the day, ended with a moon rise.
mykonos7
mykonos17
Good night Mykonos, I am sure I'll be back again!

9 comments:

Liss said...

Jessica, I’m not sick of your photos just extremely jealous. I have spent time on Mykonos and had a great time and have some very funny memories too.

I really want a holiday somewhere exotic now :)

Kamana said...

what amazing adventures you are having!

Grey Street Girl said...

These shots are gorgeous! I love the super blue sky!

LittleKiwisPhotography said...

Oh My goodness, these images are breathtaking! I am in love with that place. I love your blog because I feel like I am traveling without traveling! Seriously I love your photography and the way you guys capture a destination.
OH! and all your little tidbits of information on the places too. So much fun! Thanks for sharing!

Lil' gem said...

Love the white and blue combination..look so pure and calming..:-) did you use any filter when shooting these pics?

J.H said...

@Liss : I want to go to Australia now!!! Can we exchange? :-)

@Kamana : Yes, a fun day in the sun.

@Grey Street Girl : I am amazed with how blue and spotless their sky. I had a hard time increasing the saturation because the sky looks too blue.

@Little Kiwis : thank you :-) I hope to go to another nice place next time.

@Lil' Gem : on day light I use ND8 filter to block exessive sunlight. I remove them as soon as it reach 5-6 o'clock. The sunlight in Greece is so strong, and all the white hora and golden sand make it even worse. I can't even open my eyes without wearing sunglasses!

Mei Teng said...

I always love the blue hour and how everything has a blueish tinge to it. That sunset photo with a single yacht would make a lovely postcard!

Lil' gem said...

Thanks for sharing Jessica!

Cath J said...

You look soooo beautiful!!! I love all the photo!!!

What a clear water!!!! Dying to dip my body in!!! T_T