Wednesday, 17 June 2009

Let's took another leap

After 5 days in Italy, we took a leap across the pond and arrive in Athens.
greece
Greece is much hotter than Italy, not the women no, but the temperature. And Athens just a less flamboyant but cheaper version of Rome. Instead of castle and palace you'll find ruin here. The place is a lot dirtier, more beggar, more pick-pockets, and not as nice food.

Don't get me wrong and think that this place is not worth a visit. If you look at this, I am sure you'll change your mind.
acropolis7
acropolis2
acropolis3




However, there is one problem visiting Greece.
athens2
While staying in Italy for 5 days has enabled us to speak a little Italian beside monkey language. Our 9 days stay in Greece does not brought us anywhere far than "yasas" (hello) and "para kalo" (please). And don't even mention about reading the letter, all looks like math equation to me. Or... probably sound like biology lesson.
athens4
Sorry babe, it's not a butterfly nor a frog..... but a church!
athens3
Worst still.... I thought this is a pharmacist or a name of disease.
athens11


Let see, probably I should start by introducing you to Greek food. Namely, Gyros and Slouvaki. It was basically look like Kebab except that the meat is different.
My son does not do greek food, as soon as we arrive he only eat chips (french fries) or american food....
greece5
greece4
or lolipop.
athens5
Gyros in the making.
athens12
While this is greek salad. Greek food basically full of olive oil (and olive), garlic yougurt and feta cheese, and olive and feta cheese, and more olive....
greek_food

So what is gyros anyway?
Gyros or gyro (giros) (most often pronounced /ˈdʒaɪroʊ/, from Greek: γύρος "turn") is a Greek dish, consisting of meat, tomato, onion, and tzatziki sauce, and is served with pita bread. Gyros may also refer to the sandwich, which consists of the same ingredients.
To make gyros, slices of meat are placed on a tall vertical spit, which turns in front of a source of heat. The rate of roasting can be adjusted by varying the strength of the heat and the distance between the heat and the meat, allowing the cook to adjust to varying rates of consumption. The meat is sliced vertically. It is generally served in an oiled, fried piece of pita, rolled up with various salads and sauces.
greece3
And it's sister called Slouvaki. To me it's looks like beef/lamb/chicken satay soak in.... again... olive oil.
Souvlaki (Greek: Σουβλάκι) or souvlakia is a popular Greek fast food consisting of small pieces of meat and sometimes vegetables grilled on a skewer. It may be served on the skewer for eating out of hand, in a pita sandwich with garnishes and sauces, or on a dinner plate ready for insertion, often with fried potatoes or pilaf. The meat is traditionally pork in Greece and Cyprus, or in modern times increasingly chicken.
greece2
We ate this duo (and it's variation) for nearly the length of our stay. Not because we love it so much, but rather, this thing comes really cheap. You can get gyros for 1.8-2 Euro for takeaway.

Next episode, we'll explore the shopping heaven in Plaka and Monastraki, Athena.

13 comments:

Sis. Tammy said...

Oh my, those look good. It reminds me of our visit to Greece (my favorite holiday, by the way). They were cheap, too! Whoohoo!!

P.S.
CONGRATS, Bro. Yusdi on the driving test!

AG said...

Hmmm... the amount of olive they use in Greece makes me thinking again and again of making them my future travel destination... Im fine with olive oil.. but for sure, I dont like olive at all.. haha

Lil' gem said...

Mmm..that gyros surely looked so yummy to me...would you mind sharing with me how do you shoot the 4th picture, with sun rays breaking through the cloud?

J.H said...

@Tammy : next time you should try the cyclades in Greece, I am sure you'll love them :-)

@AG : wah ga suka olive, mati donk loe di Greece!

@Lil' Gem : That's a hard question. I really don't know how to explain this, but the ray is... au naturale, I didn't create them, that what I see with my bare eyes.
You can found this kind of scene nearing sunset when the sun is lower than it's normal daytime position, and choose a cloudy day, then may be you'll able to spot this :-) Hope this helps.

Josephine said...

u take very good photos....

Mei Teng said...

I love gyros! I ate quite abit of those stuff during my student days in Adelaide.

I want to visit Greece one day..:)

J.H said...

@Josephine : thanks!

@Mei Teng : I am sure you'll have a chance to visit Greece one day :-) and when you do, watch out for those Gyros!

Lil' gem said...

O sorry! I wasn't clear in my question. I'm just wondering what exposure setting you use to shoot that photo? ..:-)

Stardust said...

So is the food olive oily? I don't mind if the dose is pleasantly balanced. =P

I love your photos! Stunning!

Natasha de Bell said...

ternyata ke yunani juga ya? pantesan ambil libur panjang, kirain ke roma doang. busyet fot2nya bagus2 banget

Ellena said...

I had nv being to Greece but your photo is realli stunning.... it really make the place look great! Sis :)

J.H said...

@stardust, ellena & Nat :
yes, I recommend everyone should try to go to Greece one day :-)

J.H said...

@Lil'Gem : I actually use the faster shutter speed to get the picture as sharp as possible (I am using Av mode and not manual). Hope this answer your question :-)