Wednesday, 17 June 2009

A real taste of Italy

I went to Rome and I should say it wasn't anything like genuine Italian experience. The pizza seller was indian and the gellato seller was chinese, not that I am racist but it just sound.... not right.
However, I just found out a place whereby even a hotel receptionst find it unusual to speak english. However, according to Wikipedia this place does cater for a large German and Asian crowd in summer (we don't see any of them anywhere unfortunately).
italia4
My english is not excellent. But there is something wrong with this 3 star hotel menu. I hope that "kid" is not Josiah. I tried to google translate the german and it come out with "Kids roast roast", while the italian itself translate as "kid in the oven".

Now there is 3 possibility.
First : they are so cheap-skate that they used google translate software to get the translation, therefore instead of lamb they write "kid".
Second : they are really canibal!
Third : I am just an idiot who does not know what "kid" means. The same way my ear was itching hearing a man talking about his bitch.... hold on, he is talking about his pet female dog!
I therefore should ban the use of english in italy.

Well.....benvenuti a Ischia!! (welcome to Ischia!!) and let's start the adventure.
ischia9
Above is a view from our hotel window.

Ischia is a volcanic island in the Tyrrhenian Sea, at the northern end of the Gulf of Naples. The roughly trapezoidal island lies roughly 30 km from Naples and measures around 10 km east to west and 7 km north to south with a 34 km coastline and a surface area of 46.3 km². It is almost entirely mountainous, with the highest peak being Mount Epomeo at 788 meters. You can get there by catching a ferry (the slowest ferry is about 10 euro per person, 90 minute ride) from Napoli Porta di Massa.

Ischian bay (Ischia porto, ischia's main port).
ischia2
ischia8
ischia3
ischia5

Just when I thought a three wheel tuktuk only exist in asian country. Hold your breath, this italian tuktuk is as equally as rip off as the one in thailand!
ischia2

And what is this mushroom stone?

I have no clue.

This place is called Lacco Ameno. It is located at the feet of the Mount Epomeo, facing the sea. The name most likely derives from the Greek lakkos, meaning "stone". The name ameno was added to the official name in 1862. This place is famous for its hot spring that you can find hot tub hire and mud spa everywhere.
ischia4
Not an excellent beach for australian or south east asian standard, but I guess for British standard this will do.
ischia6
This is Josiah's first time playing in the beach with a proper beach outfit (just swiming trunk, no jumper, no sweater!!) and I can tell he was having so much fun!
ischia7
Unfortunately the weather was a little unfriendly when we make a stop in Ischia. Look at the after the rain cloud.
ischia
And if you are wondering what is the castle on the very first picture. This is Castello Aragonese.
ischia12
The Aragonese Castle (Castello Aragonese, Ischia Ponte) was built on a rock near the island in 474 BC, by Hiero I of Syracuse. At the same time, two towers were built to control enemy fleets' movements. The rock was then occupied by Parthenopeans (the ancient inhabitants of Naples). In 326 BC the fortress was captured by Romans, and then again by the Parthenopeans. In 1441 Alfonso V of Aragon connected the rock to the island with a stone bridge instead of the prior wood bridge, and fortified the walls in order to defend the inhabitants against the raids of pirates. Around 1700, about 2000 families lived on the islet, including a larisses Convent, the Abbey of Basilians from Greece, the Bishop and the Seminar, the Prince with a military garrison. There were also thirteen churches.
ischia13
ischia11
In 1912, the Castle was sold to a private owner. Today the castle is the most visited monument of the island.

So that is the closing of our short 1 day trip to Ischia from Napoli. However hot or cold, rain or shine. I always enjoy my holiday, because I can spend time with the people I love the most.

It's all really depends on how you look at it.
ischia10

5 comments:

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

I am loving your adventure so far!

Doing blog posts are like getting to relive the experience over again!

Teresa said...

Wow, these are incredible. You are so blessed to be able to see such sites.

J.H said...

@wayfaring : I hope everyone who read my blog will one day, experience this trip themselves :-)

@Teresa : indeed, God is gracious!

Stardust said...

I love your adventure just as much and I can't agree more, ' it all depends on how you look at it'. ;)

Cath J said...

Picture perfect!!!