Tuesday, 1 September 2009

Learning to Serve

It always be refreshing to meet the Nicholson, our dear friend of ours who are serving God in North Wales.
We know every man of God, pastors, deacons, missionaries, or any child of God likewise have a special gift that makes them different in the sight of man and God.

After all these years of friendship, I am finally able to comprehend the special gift the Nicholson have. Abbie and Joe are a very special couple for us. They are always kind towards each other just as if both of them are old friend who just met again.

Say you meet a dear old friend from school and she going to stay with you for a week or two.

What did you do?

You would probably cook her the best meal, put on the best mood, the best smile, clean the house, give her best room in your house, bring her out for dinner or shopping, spend time with her in the evening, in any ways try to make her stay pleasant. Obviously you try not to let them do housework, you want them to be comfortable and just enjoy the hospitality. You certainly will avoid to say inappropriate things or being upset about her bad habits. Isn't that such a sweet of us? Unfortunately we treat best friend better than our spouses at times.

Okay, us women probably kiss or hold our spouses hand in public. But how often we sigh when our husband leave clutters on the living room, command on our husband the dos and donts around the house, complain about how clumsy they are, and forgiveness is kind of expensive (husband have to trade this with a week worth of washing dishes). In fact, I do feel many people (include myself) treated stranger or friends better than our spouses! We ask for help politely, we accept their apology without grudging, and we try to correct them with the less hurting words!

I must admit, that I probably not as patient if my husband make small mistake as when he is still my fiancée or boyfriend. I often tell him to do this and that, which I never did before the marriage. Before the knot, there are times I decide to keep things or words that might hurt his feelings to myself, which I often decide to reveal now just to make me feel better or he to feel guilty. As a wife, sometimes I do sigh... I do complain... I do nag... I do feel disappointed at times, on whatever my husband do. Instead of pray to God and ask the strength, patience and wisdom, I normally end up confronting my husband. Even when at the end we reconcile or solve the problem, but still I do repeat the same mistake again.

That's set Abbie to be a special woman. She treat her husband as first class citizen, as much as she will treat her good old friends. She tried to do her best for the children, for the household, for us the guest, without having to much bothering her husband. Her tone was always normal and she sentenced her words politely when asking for help from her husband. I had never she yelled her husband name from upstairs or kitchen, instead... she thank her husband a lot for doing little things. She is not a type of person who liked to be cuddled in front of others, but in her words and act, everyone can read how much love and respect she had for her husband.

On the other hand, I had never seen a man like Joe before. He did household without being asked, wake up at night when the children had a bad dreams (and tried not wake his wife), he offers to take care of the kids to let his wife have a rest. He is asking his wife opinion almost on any decision he made. He is a very thoughtful and loving man.
nicholson4
This revelation is kind of special for us, because we few days ago was our 6th anniversary. (We kept it a secret, until the very last minute. Judging on how sweet Abbie & Joe, they are going to throw us a party if they knew it before hand).
I guess the Lord has shown us the direction the real meaning and example of husband and wife relationship.


Matt 23 : 11
But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant
John 13 : 14-17, 34
If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet;
ye also ought to wash one another's feet.
For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.
Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.
If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.
A new commandment I give unto you,
That ye love one another;
as I have loved you,
that ye also love one another.


Abbie and Joe, thank you for being such a blessing in our life. God bless you all!

14 comments:

Cath J said...

Is that the pic of them?? Beautiful photo.. ^_^

Keri Ann said...

Thank you for posting this sweet entry. I too need to work on treating my husband like a boyfriend...after 12 years of marraige that can be hard at times. I guess a lot can be said for the power of possitive thinking and possitive words.

As I have loved you, love one another. BEAUTIFUL. I love that scripture.

Char said...

beautiful shot and excellent advice

Jungle Mom said...

Thanks so much for coming by and commenting on my blog. I love new readers and especially ones who leave comments!!!

Ayie said...

what a great couple. Your post has so much meaning and deep reflections to go with it. I can tell I'm much more patient now and more affectionate or closer to my husband since I have always been confined in a conservative manner when we were just bf-gf.

Stardust said...

Happy 6th anniversary! Many blissful years ahead!!

They're the kind of beautiful couple I've always looked up to. Yes, I agree that respecting our men is an expression of love and it doesn't make sense that we're kind to outsiders but giving our loved ones a harder time. This is what I've always been unhappy with my own family. I guess it's only logical to identify who are the ones who truly deserve what's kind.

Beautiful header!

J.H said...

@Cath : yes, they are both beautiful inside out!

@Keri & Char : glad you like it :-) some reminder at times can be good.

@Jungle mom : hey, thanks for dropping by too!

J.H said...

@Stardust & Ayie : one day you both have to write an entry about your husband :-) I truly wanted to read and to know them!

Ayie said...

don' worry, i will. =)

Cuisine Paradise said...

What a beautiful post sis....

This is just what i need now... learn how to love, endure and trust the man that I used to love and pressed on God for his strength and continue to pray that he will touch this man and turn the situation around for our family......

Thanks.. thanks for the post...

Natasha de Bell said...

mengharukan ceritanya. gw jg lagi belajar ga mengeluh selama jd istri. kalo ngebayangin pasangan muda lain di indo, betapa enaknya mereka punya pembantu, shg ga perlu marah atau berharap suami bantu kita ngurus kerjaan rumah tangga.

J.H said...

@ellena : you are extremely strong woman ellena. I think I need to learn a lot from a person like you!

@natasha : amen... :-) let us run the race! ga pake pembokats juga bisa!!

Kathy Corey said...

Your blog about Joe and Abbie was such an encouragement and a good reminder to me. I love them both very much. Kathy Corey, Abbie's mother

J.H said...

Dear Mrs Corey,
Well, I am thrilled to know you are visiting my blog. Indeed that Abbie & Joe are special friend to us! They had been a grest blessing in our life.
We took loads of picture of the Nicholsons in Cambridge last weekend that we had not get a chance to put up on the blog. I'll probably put it up in a day or two, so stay tuned :-)