Wednesday, 14 October 2009

Birthday, the Indonesian style

Few weeks ago, we had a combined birthday celebration among me, Mia and my husband (yes all of us born in less than 3 weeks gap). I did wonder whether I wanted a birthday cake. I browse for some ideas in the internet, but those which I categorise as "edible" and "nice" is sort of expensive. I don't want to have just any usual cake, so we decide to make a complete different cake. After brainstorming with our head chef Mia (who is also one of the birthday girl), we determine to celebrate our birthday all in Indonesian style, which means instead of cake, we have "nasi tumpeng".
bday1
Nasi tumpeng is basically a dish made of mainly yellow rice (or white rice with coconut juice called nasi uduk) in a shape of cone which is eaten during special events. The rice is cooked with coconut milk and turmeric, hence the name nasi kuning (yellow rice). The rice is to symbolize a heap of gold, so nasi kuning is often served for parties, or opening ceremonies, as a symbol of good fortune, wealth and dignity.
bday2
It is usually served with more variety of side dishes than nasi campur. Shredded omelet, serundeng (relish of grated coconut and spices), sambal goreng (fried tempeh and potato caramelized in spicy sauce), ayam goreng (Javanese-style fried chicken), perkedel (potato fritters) are the most common side dishes found in nasi kuning. More elaborate nasi kuning would include fried cow's brain, fried cow's lung, beef and seafood. (This may sounded gross, but the truth is... you can hardly recognise the stuff from the shape, and it taste pretty good!)
bday6
The top of the tumpeng would normally be given to the most senior of the attendance. (In which we are pushing each other to do it because no one will like to admit being the oldest!)
Below, the birthday boy and girls. Please pardon the background, it's a full house so we just have to cramp somewhere.
bday4
Just in case you are wondering how old is all of us, oh well... you just have to figure it our yourself.
bday3

13 comments:

Cath J said...

Lovely 'cake'....Interesting!! ^_^

and happy bday!!!! ^_^

Cuisine Paradise said...

Wow..!!!! This is indeed a very "SPECIAL" Bday cake Jessica.... And I think it means more meaningful than those usual western bday cake :) I love the creation, it's so nicely done!!! *thump up*

Happy Birthday Sister!!!!! God Bless.

Kamana said...

looks delicious! i am teaching myself indonesian cooking from an excellent book i recently got - by sri owen.

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

Happy Belated Birthday! I think I'd try fried cow brains!! haha


Oh, and to answer your question, I was in Hawaii during the end of Sept and beginning of Oct for my birthday. I wish I were still there :D

HOPE said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you all...wow 21 AGAIN..I need to remember this for my next b'day! I know "I" won't get a way with it though...um? have to come up with maybe 45 AGAIN.

Love this story...how very interesting and GORGEOUS presentation!

Very nice photo of SMILING faces!

HOPE~

Char said...

happy birthday to all

MeRy said...

Nice cake and I miss the nasi tumpeng...I love eating it as I am an indonesian.

You have a nice blog..it is my first time visiting ur blog.

Cher said...

i'm back to say happy birthday to all of you! i have a thank you post for you at my page, not sure if you've read it. i already used up your template which everyone seem to like, once again. thank you so much!

Stardust said...

Now it's a very special preparation there and I would really love to have SG's food on my BD without me having to prepare it. HAHHAAH!

Sigh, don't you miss hometown food sometimes. Correction. Most of the time. =P

Liss said...

Happy Birthday to the 3 of you. The food look fantastic. Very fitting for birthday celebrations.

Edna said...

Happy birthday Jess! Sorry for the late wish..:-) Food looks yummy. the authentic nasi kuning with fried cow brains and all sounds delicious haha.

'21 again' lol..I like that!

Ayie said...

happy birthday to all of you!!!

J.H said...

Thanks everyone for such a beutiful comment!!! I am so thrilled.
Sorry I've been really busy lately and most of my post are scheduled.