Tuesday, 15 June 2010

Stop 10 : Versailles

Ups, I've been neglecting this blog again for a bit. First because my house purchase is on the way, it's appear that we might get a really good deal out of buying a repossesed house.
Another thing is because my right hand thumb! I slammed it on the car door and I hardly be able to do anything... I had never knew life so hard without your thumb. I can't write, can't hold spoon, can't drive, can't play piano, can't squeeze tooth paste and even can't button my skirt or blouse! For 2 days my thumb looks red blueish like lollipop. Thankfully its feel much better today.

So, here is a long forgotten post about Versailles on the trip we made in April.

versailles10

If you had never been to a palace before... I think Versailles is a must visit spot. It is beautiful, elegant, decorated passionately with golds and exquisite carvings and moulds, it's simply georgeous.

versailles2

Versailles (French pronunciation: [vɛʁsaj]/"Vair-sigh"), a city renowned for its château, the Palace of Versailles, was the de facto capital of the kingdom of France for over a century, from 1682 to 1789. It is now a wealthy suburb of Paris and remains an important administrative and judicial center. Located in the western suburbs of the French capital, 17.1 km (10.6 mi) from the center of Paris, the commune of Versailles is the préfecture (administrative seat) of the Yvelines department.

versailles

Below : Chapel inside Versailles...

versailles3

versailles3

Versailles from the back...

versailles9

But if you ever visited other palace such as Blenheim palace, I think I fail to appreciate the beauty of Versailles.

First because of the crowd. I mean, it is very crowded compared to many other nice palace in Europe I've ever seen. Even though this might not look MANY to some of you, but trust me, inside the palace there is just too many tourist (hence I decide not to take a picture inside too much).

versailles8

Now, did you see the small train like vehicle below? Well, if you planned to visit versailles you can visit just the main palace or both the main palace and queen marie antoinnette residence. Beware that the palace ground is so big that between the main palace and the queen residence is about 2 miles walk! Thus, that explain the needs for this vehicle, however this is not free... you have to pay EUR 6.5 one way! That's a bit of a rip-off considering the enterance fee for the palace only EUR 15-18.
Thankfully for me, we are rather smart for buying tickets only for the main palace :-)

versailles5

versailles6

Secondly is the DUST!
The ground of versailles is not lush green with grass as many palace I've seen in UK, but it was filled with gravel and dust. Hence... visit to versailles on windy day is a recipe for disaster especially if you bring a toddler.

versailles11

versailles7

One of the few pictures inside the palace, look at the amount of gold they use for just the ceiling!
versailles12

7 comments:

betchai said...

wonmderful pictures of amazing structures in Versailles. am sorry to hear abour your thumb, it sounds painful indeed. hope you are a lot better now.

Cuisine Paradise said...

Wow...great photos are usual sis... :) hope that your thumb is better too. Take care :)

Stardust said...

Beautiful beautiful Versailles thru your lens! I'll be dreaming about seeing it one day! =D Here's what I like about your blog, it takes me places. =D

Am really happy about your good news on the new home. =) God guides you as the matter progresses and let's hope you'll get settled down very soon. =D

Indonesia-Eats said...

Thanks for stopping by. I'm very impressed with your photography work. So beautiful!

Cath J said...

oh poor little thumb... no wonder insurance policy will pay very high if some1 lost their thumb (In my country ^_^)

and amazing pictures....

hope you will totally well soon..

Ayie said...

what a beautiful place....hubs and i will visit that too but he said we'll go there when baby's bigger already!

happy weekend!

Snowcatcher said...

Good luck with the house, and I hope your thumb heals quickly. Miss seeing your spectacular photos, but these are truly grand, also. Love the gold jewelry on the ceiling.